Friday, February 15, 2008

no, she's more like the cool chick from the craft

So I'm at the Band of Horses show last night and I run into a girl I went to college with. This wouldn't be all that eventful except that I went to college in Virginia and the show was in Brooklyn - so a little random. But not entirely since I knew this girl was working in the city and I had actually run into her once before a few years ago while waiting to get on the subway. So I'm catching up with her and she informs that just that afternoon she ran into another girl we had graduated with. Big city, small world!

So one of the girls I'm at the show with is astounded by this occurrence, stating that she's never run into anyone she's known in the city and she went to school there! So I tell her how just after starting my job last winter I ran into a sorta ex-boyfriend and his wife at Urban Outfitters in the city and ended up having dinner with them, which of course astounded her even further.

Then I just blow her mind with this little story that I like to call, "J.R., Cinderella could've been your mommy."

A few years back my father and I took my nephew to Disney World. While there we took J.R. to see Cinderella. As he approaches her for a picture she asks him what his name is and he replies, "Joseph Roy Mennona" like a good little boy and she asks him where he's from and he responds New Jersey. After the picture is taken, Cinderella leans over to me and whispers, "I think I dated your brother."

After a little investigative work I find out that Cinderella is from my town and did in fact date my brother. Also, her sister was my middle school history teacher.

And this completely blows this girl's mind. She is completely convinced I'm a witch with weird connective powers or something.

So I continue that while in Florida we stayed with my dad's best friend from high school who had retired down there. While there his wife takes a picture of me, J.R., and my father. My parents then send a copy of this picture to my other brother living in Vermont. He puts the picture up in his office at work and one of his co-workers sees it and recognizes the picture from seeing it hanging up at her aunt's house in Florida! Turns out my brother's been working with my dad's high school friend's niece (all originally from NJ but now scattered all across the east coast) for months without anyone realizing it.

The girl I'm telling the story to is now completely freaked out and has me tell the whole story to her friend, the whole time yelling that I'm a witch.

Her friend responds that I'm not so much a witch as I am more like the cool chick from The Craft.

I'll take it.

No comments: