Tuesday, February 12, 2008

accidental insensitivity.

last week was my sister's birthday. i knew it all day. when i got home i forgot. momentarily. the phone rang and i remembered again and swore after i got off the phone with whoever was calling i would call my sis. but of course it was my sis calling me. who does that? she says she'd had a few drinks and felt it okay to start calling people to make them wish her a happy birthday. i thought this was fair.

while on the phone i start doing the math to figure out how old my sister was now. i think to myself that i'll be 26 on monday so that would make my sister...and then i react...

by yelling out 'oh shit!'

my sister is all a-worry - did you fall? did you hurt something? are you okay?

i sheepishly respond that i just figured out how old she was now. i didn't even mean to be mean.

but i mean - 37? that's old, right?

i tried to make her feel better by reminding her that beth from the real world was 39. i don't think it helped.

No comments: