Friday, March 07, 2008

If it's not a race then what's the point?

My brother = super athletic guy.

My brother also owns super pants but that's a different story for a different day.

My brother's activity of choice is biking. He's hardcore. I'd give you examples but I don't feel like it.

My brother also runs but not like he bikes. So we ran this race together back in the fall and my brother did alright. He didn't come in first or anything but his time was still really good.

So I say to him, if this were a bike race, he'd probably be up there with the first people to finish. He'd probably come in first, right? And he responds that when he participates in these group biking activites (also known as races) that it's not a race and he's not out to beat anyone else. And I respond that I understand that but if it were a race you would be considered the winner, correct? And he says, again, that it's not like that. He bikes for himself and not to beat anyone else. And I ask again, this time trying a different tactic, that if he were biking with a group of people, not in any way a race setting, but just biking to bike that due to his speed and the speed of the other bikers he would probably finish before the other bikers were to finish. Not because he was trying to beat them but just because he was faster.

My brother just looked at me funny and walked away.

No comments: